SAP Business Objects Web Intelligence (Webi) provides the functionality to export data to PDF, Excel, CSV, or text files in SAP Business Objects 4.x. The whole document can be exported or just a single report tab. Prior to exporting data from Webi, let's consider the resultant export file's "format characteristics" depending upon the option selected.
- PDF and Excel will retain the formatting and grouping established in the Webi report.
- Excel will not include the header and footer displayed in the Webi report.
- A text file will keep the groupings and columns, but not the formatting (e.g., header row color) from the Webi report.
- A CSV (comma separated values) file will not retain the formatting nor the grouping displayed in the Webi report. This is the best choice if you want the 'raw data' from a Webi report.
Steps When Exporting Data from Webi
- To export data from a Webi report, you first need to run the report.
- Next, locate the Export icon on the tool bar.
a. In Reading mode, the Export icon is in the first group of icons.
b. In Design mode, the Export icon is located above the left panel.
- Click the down arrow to the right of the Export icon to select exporting the entire document or just the current report tab. You are also presented with the choice of file formats: PDF, Excel, Excel 2007, and text.
- Once you make the choice of file format, Webi will process the data export and present you with the usual dialogue box where you have options to Open, Save, or Cancel the export file.
Which export format do you use most frequently?
My answer to that question is Excel - with PDF as a close second. If you or your end users of the exported data do not need to slice-and-dice the data (i.e., use all of the great functions in Excel), then export to PDF. The display of the data will be consistent for all users, and no one has the ability to modify the data in a PDF exported from Webi.